Friday, June 19, 2009

The Cubs....

Has anyone seen the movie "The Hangover"? My wife and I went to see it and we loved it. But as I started to think about the concept something just struck me as odd and I couldn't figure it out. And then, as I was watching the Cubs this afternoon, it hit me.

Background - there was a rain delay and CSN was showing a game from September of last year against the Brewers. Ramirez was hitting like a madman and Soto looked good...it made no sense why they were stinking up the joint this year. I think it was the game where ARam hits the HR to beat them. It just didn't seem possible that a team that won 97 games last year could be hovering at .500 in June this year. My thoughts went to the playoffs against the Dodgers - and that is when I got it. The Cubs have a hangover. I really believe that. All they heard in the offseason was about how badly the played in the playoffs and how much they needed a LH bat in the lineup. Every move in the winter was made to get that lefty bat - which also hasn't done jack. If you hear something enough, don't you start to believe it?

The hard part is fixing the hangover. Lord knows, if you've partied at all there are a thousand different "methods" for curing the hangover. Do I believe cutting Gerlad Perry loose was one o them? No, but something had to be done. If I knew enough about the game I would be getting paid by a team to help them - but I have suggestions....
  1. Tell Soriano he is not hitting leadoff and if he doesn't like it - threaten him with a suspension like Frank Robinson did in Washington. He did end up going to LF remember? And he played well. Do the same thing. The managers run the team, not the players.
  2. I would hit Reed Johnson leadoff if it were me. IT seems like he is a catalyst for this team. He plays the game the right way - and he wear his stirrups the right way too. :)
  3. Hit Theriot 2nd. He is the perfect 2 hitter - bat control, moving runners, taking pitches, etc...
  4. Fukudome sits. Let him get right - this whole LH bat thing spiraled out of control. Just give me guys who hit. I don't care what side of the plate they hit from.
  5. Play Jake Fox at 3rd until Rami gets healthy. Yes, it could be ugly defensively but you cannot keep giving up such quality starts from the starting pitching.
  6. The rest of the lineup would be as such: Lee 1B, Fox 3B, Soriano LF, Bradley RF, Soto C, and some warm body at 2b. Probably Fontenot because he is a lefty.
There you go Lou, the answer to all your problems. :)

No comments: